Wednesday, February 06, 2008

You've Been Struck By A Smooth Criminal

It was New Year's Eve, and I decided to get a manicure. As most of you know, Mus and I went out that night, so I justified the expense by telling myself that it was a “special occasion.” (Plus it only cost me $2).

I decided to go to the salon where Mus's mom sometimes goes, since it's conveniently located about a block from their house. But as I tried to enter the salon, I found the door locked. I didn't think they could be closed since I could see a whole horde of women inside the salon, and besides that, it was two in the afternoon.

Someone opened the door for me, and I asked what was going on. They informed me that less than half an hour ago, one of their customers was standing in front of the salon talking on her cell phone, when a man on a moped snatched her purse and drove off. Some of them claimed he had a machete, but since he didn't even take her cell phone (which is the number one item stolen here in Ghana) but just grabbed and sped off, I think that might be an exaggeration.

In any case, shortly before I arrived the victim of the crime received a call. Someone had found her purse lying in the middle of the road and called her, and the victim and the owner of the salon headed off to retrieve it.

Upon receiving her purse, the victim took stock of the belongings remaining inside: Checkbook- check. ID card- check. Keys- check. Let's see, she kept her cash in her pocket, so they didn't have access to that...Oh yes, home perming kit....

Wait, the kit wasn't there. That's right. All the moped thief stole was her home perming kit. What kind of person does that?

And speaking of Michael Jackson...

You guys need to check out the video Mus and I made of him dancing. Apparently he was quite the hoofer in high school. Now, if he looks off-beat, trust that he actually isn't and that the discrepancy is due to my crappy editing job. This was definitely the most difficult video I've ever made to date (which isn't saying much since it's my third), and it's definitely not professional quality. Plus the light meter (regulator? It does more than meter since I have no control over it...) of my camera is totally out of control. But regardless of my technical difficulties, you won't want to miss the dancing. So check it out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home