Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I Can Be Your Man...

Today on the way to the cafe, May and I climbed into a taxi that was veritably thumping with a popular local R&B hit. The song was playing, on repeat, right at the threshold of decibels where it doesn't physically hurt yet, but you still have the impulse to cover your ears anyway. And the driver, a young 20-something, was jamming out, singing along, even practicing the hand motions from the music video. The ultra-cheesy lyrics that went something like this:

“I promise on my honor,
to stay by your side.
I'm gonna tell your mama,
that's you'll be my wife.
'Cuz I can be your man,
and you can be my girl.”

And he performed this entire act in a taxi full of four 20-something females.

Now this isn't a terrible song by any means- it's probably higher on my list than any standard Backstreet Boys song- but it's not awesome music. But after listening to it at four times, at that volume, it sunk considerably lower on the list.

Finally, the driver switched the song and I breathed a sigh of relief. Except the new song was this extremely overplayed local song about a prostitute. If you are ever in a bar when this song plays, you will find everyone yells out the word prostitute in a local language whenever the word comes up in the song- I can only liken it to how people tend to break out into spastic arm movements when YMCA is on. May and I actually winced when this song came on.

As for bad news here, it seems the entire country of Ghana is, for all intents and purposes, out of both kerosene and LP gas. We've checked in various cities- no one has any available for purchase. So cooking is now a bit of a challenge, and charcoal grilling is now our only method of food preparation. Lucky for me I have May and mus to brave the charcoal flames and feed me- otherwise, I'd be on a strictly raw food diet.

Lastly,

Check out these photos taken when May and Mus and I went to the zoo in Kumasi...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home