Sunday, January 15, 2006

Encountering A New Year Without Ed

Well, I think this is the first time I've seen a New Year come without spending a week with my campground friends since I was able to call myself a teenager :( But, as things go, I had nice New Years anyway, even without any ghosts.

For those of you who aren't among my "campground friends-" we've been having a New Years party for years. I think it actually started at someone else's house (Carrie's house? Seans? I'm not sure) but then it was moved to our old house at the campground- "the cottage"- which is now just offices. FInally Adam was shoved into Crazy Ed's and the party followed him.

Crazy Ed's is a mobile home that my brother lives in, which was purchased by my parents. Crazy Ed was a local man, infamous during his life, and legendary after his disappearance. He was the previous owner of the trailer before my brother moved in. We still believe we can list him as a current inhabitant. In fact, whether he makes a supernatural appearance at the party or not, Crazy Ed plays major role in our New Years parties. He's everything from our party mascot to entertainment to host- the party is even named after him- "Crazy Ed's New Years Bash."

So how did I bring in the New Year without Crazy Ed and my faithful friends? Well, the plan was I would spend a day by the pool, have lunch with Auntie Naana, and go to club that night. As it turned out, I fell down the enormous hill that Auntie lives on, destorying a pair of shoes and also a decent portion of skin on my knee. I stodd up from the fall- it jarred me in a weird way, I don't know- it was like I hit my head, even though I didn't... Well, I thought I was going to either fall down again or throw up for a minute- which scared Mus more than just a little. So he called the trip to the pool off, dragged me home best he could (with assistance) and cleaned up my knee and sat me down. Soon I was feeling fine- just some bruises, but he was firm- no pool. Probably for the best with that scrape.

He allowed me out of the house to go to lunch with Auntie Naana- I limped a bit, but we went to Hans Cottage to eat yummy food and look at crocodiles. Afterwards, Mus and I both decided we weren't in the mood to go out, so we decided to get treats from town and have a romantic night at home.

We ate cheese and tomato sanwiches (on something like french toast- it's soooo good!) and Ghanaian chocolate (you have no idea how yummy) and pringles and fake champagne (fizzy peach juice). I dressed up in heels and makeup and my fanciest clothes. We toasted the New Year and danced under the stars while listening to Norah Jones on the laptop Adam and Carissa donated to the library. Very romantic. We even kicked "the kids" out- meaning the puppies. They were locked out of the courtyard, where they whined and pawed at the door. They hate to be excluded.

So all in all, not a bad substitute. But still a substitute.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Jess, if you shuffle your feet you lose your seat! Ha, ha, ha! Does that bring back any memories from Mexico? The scraped leg and all did it for me!
I missed Crazy Ed this year too! Perhaps next year, I am always trying to get my mom to have her B-day party with Crazy Ed, but they just aren't that tight, if you know what I mean. PS My dad got dave totally hooked on Non-alcoholic wine. When we were at your mom's house she had to take the bottle away from him.

3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home