Saturday, January 14, 2006

This Little Piggy went to Market...

So in the Eastern Region Mus, Ama, and Efia and I al went to market (this is a different town and a different day than our trip to Konongo.)

In big cities like Cape Coast, everyday is a market day. But in the small towns and villages we were visiting, they have a specifis market day, and so if you need something that you can't find in one of the small shops, you figure out which nearby town is having a market day and head over there.

I wanted to take pictures on the sly-I know that there are ethical issues with that and I sturggled with them- but if I overtly take photos, then everyone jumps around and poses and smiles and I get to have a million photos of kids jumping and smiling and none of people doing what they normally do. So I walked around with my camera on, but hanging from my neck, ad just snapping photos at random without looking.

Here are my favorites...







These women figured it out pretty quickly- they didn't mind, they just thought it was funny that I was taking pictures while I was looking in the opposite direction. When word spread that I was taking photos, the market women all wanted me to take theirs.


In Ghana, vendors in the market are always women. Occasionally you see a young man in his 20s walking around selling something from a basket on his head (like women's underwear- talk about a weird and embarassing situation... Who wants to buy their panties from abasket on a young guys head?) But mostly those young men are from other nearby countries, where men are vendors.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home