Friday, February 22, 2008

What's a Mass Mating Ritual Without Karaoke?

Ladies, are you looking for a date? Well, lucky for you, I have some suggestions...

1. I was watching Aljazeera the other day when they showed a documentary about a place in Greece called "Sugar Town." Apparently this town has a population of some 20,000 people- and almost all of them are single men between the ages of 24 and 50.

Check out this synopsis from the website:

In the Greek village of Sugar Town, men have a serious problem. Women are fleeing the area in search of work or marriage in the big cities, leaving them behind- and lonely. The majority of these women do not think about living the rest of their lives in this small agricultural place where nothing changes. But the men do not have the same luxury of choice. Tradition dictates they inherit the land and must remain in the villa ges.

Fully aware of this situation, the astute mayor of Sugar Town promises to find the men wives, as part of his re-election campaign.

"I don't know how he came up with the idea," says Kadafi, the local coffee shop owner, "but he promised that if we voted for him, he would organise a trip abroad to find us a wife." "Dozens of mayors facing the same problem keep calling, asking how to organise such a trip," explains the mayor. “Hundreds of men gather here to give me their passports because young Greek women are prejudiced against village life."

Faced with such pressure, and concerned about the upcoming election, the mayor finally contacted the mayor of the Russian town of Klin, who gathered 300 women all looking for foreign husbands.

"I took the decision to participate in the trip," says Kostas, because I have everything I need in life... a house, a car, a, tractor, animals. But I need a partner. I want a family."

Efthimis is a 40-year-old electrician, who says that he will do everything he can to win his future Russian bride. "I will show her real love and pure feelings," he says, "and if that doesn't work, I will kidnap her!"

Against the odds and local traditions which frown upon mixed marriages, the Bridegrooms from SugarTown set out on a great journey to find their future brides and happiness.

http://www.anemon.gr/sugartown.html

My favorite part of the film was when the group of Russian women, who were all 27-40 years old divorcees, meet up with our Greek Cassanovas. None of the women speak Greek, so the room is like a mad scramble of men as they and their interpretors try to chat the ladies up. Then they all get drunk and sing Celine Dione songs in their respective languages on a portable karaoke machine.

I didn't see the ending, so I don't know if they were able to convince these women to move to a remote village where they won't know anyone nor speak the language and are at the complete mercy of the stranger they married but cannot talk to.

I think all of this begs the question- don't they have mail order brides in Greece?

2. The new thing on Ghanaian TV is for them to scroll personal ads along the bottom of the screen during the afternoons. The odd thing about it is that 95% of the ads are written by men looking for women, and probably half of those are requests for "sugar mommas."

Here are some of my favorites:
- A 21 year old recently returned from London for a year looking to meet women 28-40.
- I am 15 and looking for a sugar momma in Takoradi. Call me.
- Hi. My name is Sam and I'm a sexy 27 year old looking for a white girl.
- Looking for women 18-20. HOT GURLS ONLY.

So there you go ladies. If you're a "HOT GURL" or interested in becoming a "sugar momma" just let me know and I'll send you some phone numbers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home