Friday, March 19, 2010

Butterflies, Birthdays, and Boiled Dinner...

Obo has erupted in butterflies. For two days, butterflies have been flying en masse across our yard. I've counted at least 5 different types, but honestly, they zoom by so fast it's hard to tell sometimes.

I've never seen anything like it. And thankfully, they don't come in a swarming cloud like a plague of locusts. They sort of trickle by, on average spaced between two and three feet apart, although there is the occasional high density burst. They seem to be catching a strong stream of air blowing across our yard and using it to carry them... somewhere. I don't really know where they're headed. But it's kind of magical.

Of course, as expected the predators are about and even more excited than I am. The swallows are circling our yard and we have a higher number of dragonflies than usual.

In other news, we've been celebrating around here. Of course, my birthday was a few days ago, and festivities included a movie marathon, all my favorite foods, and a dance party in the rain! All in all, a pretty great day. And Mus had a gorgeous silver bracelet made specially for me. And then St. Patty's Day brought about corned beef and cabbage for dinner, although we abstained from any green beer.

For those of you who don't know, I'm arriving in Wisconsin on April 9th. Call me!


And some birthday photos for your viewing pleasure...


When my brother Adam spent his birthday in Ghana a few weeks ago, he was "ponded" or had water dumped on him. A birthday tradition I have experienced in the past here in Ghana. But I think this year I was excused from it, after dancing in the rain.


I'm about to open my present!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home