Saturday, November 19, 2005

All's Well in Paradise

Things have been laid-back lately. I'm back in Cape Coast, which is my "home" here, hanging out with friends and reading. I'm reading an amazing book called "Confessions of An Economic Hitman" by John Perkins, and I can't tell people enough- THIS BOOK IS A MUST READ. It's an autobiography of a man who used to work in underdeveloped countries, and I don't usually like biographies, but I can't hardly put this one down. No, really. I'm reading while I type this to you. It's that good.

But I did have a minor fiasco today. True to form, Messy Jessy (and I HATE that name) strikes again.

Ok, so in America I have a bad habit of not separating wash like I should. I just through it all in, put it on the cold/cold setting and let her rip.

And I used cold water today. But it was soaking and- well...

I'm hoping to buy some dye and do some tye-dying. At this point, I think it's my only hope of salvaging.

And, true to Ghanaian form, Mus insisted that I was not hand washing correctly and insisted on re-washing all my clothes. I've never met a Ghanaian yet who can watch an American's feeble attempts to scrub clothes and not take over the operation.

But I'm not the only clumsy one around here. Mus actually picked up a burning candle the other day and dripped melted wax all over his hair and face. (Don't worry, I didn't laugh until I made sure he wasn't seriously burnt.) Two days later he dumped a bottle of coke on my lap- he was holding the bottle in his hand, then tilted his wrist to look at his watch. It was a good 3 seconds of pouring before he noticed, and he had dumped almost the whole bottle on me by that time.

He says I'm rubbing off on him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home